Research shows quality review content drives purchase decisions more than star counts.
In a recent Consumer Affairs study, 60 percent of participants said they tended to pay more attention to customer comments than to star ratings. Only 11 percent of consumers pay more attention to star ratings, and more than one-fourth (29 percent) say they balance star ratings with review content for a more complete picture. Still, younger consumers tend to be more skeptical and need more review content to make up their minds.
To deal with the overwhelming choices they face daily, consumers are looking more and more to third-party review sites for reliable advice on brands. For businesses, offering consumers easier access to transparent, verifiable reviews gains high marks on the trustworthiness scale.
Offering consumers high-quality review content benefits your brand by:
- Guiding prospects in selecting the specific products and services that best fit their needs
- Educating them on products and services you offer that may not be obvious
- Reducing churn by amplifying the network reach of brand advocates
- Acting as a customer-built knowledge base so others can resolve common issues instead of contacting customer service
- Serving as social proof and demonstrating your brand’s engagement with customers
- Boosting perceived brand responsibility in the marketplace
With the advent of a mobile generation with Wi-Fi and cellular service everywhere, consumers are living more of their lives online. It’s natural that they turn to their online connections and reliable review sites first to discover which brands are best for them.
Get the full report here.