Traveling by air has become an adventure and one can get the best out of it by being in “the know.”Fierce competition among airlines and an increased number or flights as well as options just means added benefits for passengers. There are ways and means of making considerable savings on airfares. Here are a few thoughts:
• If you are flexible about travel dates often you can make a saving of over $100 or more. You just need to visit sites like Travelocity http://www.travelocity.com which give flexible travel date airfares.
• If you are net savvy keep a watch on fare watcher on My Yahoo and you will learn how to monitor prices on a daily basis and how to snag a low price. In this case however, you will need to know your travel dates well in advance and be open to many options.
• Benefit by signing up for being intimated by e-mail of discounted fares for unsold flights and special promos being offered by airlines.
• If you have time and patience offer to be bumped off a full or over booked flight. If you are a good negotiator you can get huge discounts, vouchers, as well as a free flight. You need to know the intricacies of air travel.
• The largest savings are made when you book early at least three weeks to one month before the scheduled departure. Fares can range from $444 for booking 5 days before to $ 192 if booked 26 days before a flight.
• Find out which day of the week flights go empty and plan to travel then. Studies show that most people like traveling on week ends and Monday but the mid- week is comparatively rush free. Look up the fares and you may find that the difference can be as much as $ 100 or more.
• If you destination has more than one airport check what it costs to fly to either. Often the saving can be as much as $200 when you choose a less crowded airport and funnily enough the distance from the airport to your destination may be the same from the alternative airport. Check on sites like Orbitz, Kayak, or Travelocity to access list of alternative airports and a fare comparison.
• Choose round trip or multi-destination fares. This is a considerable saving of over US$500 and more. Most airlines have multi-city specials so if your work or holiday travel encompasses more than one destination consider such options.
Whether you are traveling within the country or abroad there are wonderful deals to be availed. Read as many travel articles and tips given by travel gurus as you can and soon you will be master of ”cheap travel.”