Originally published to Business2Community
Though some think it grossly overused to over-share about our lives, engaging in social media can be beneficial, and sometimes even save a life. Below is a story about a dog, whose life was spared as a result of a nondescript posting on Facebook.
After a trip to the grocery store, Kyle Bowser of Barnstable, Mass. and her husband rushed out of the house to pick up their daughter, leaving a two-pound bag of frozen onion rings on the counter. They returned home to find an empty bag and a look of guilt on Winnie’s face. Thinking the onion rings would result in nothing more than a stomach ache, Kyle’s husband posted a photo of Winnie and the empty bag on Facebook.
Much to her surprise, Kyle quickly discovered that onions can be very harmful, perhaps evenly deadly, for dogs. Following some additional research, Kyle confirmed that onions can be extremely toxic and can cause anemia in dogs. So, she rushed Winnie to the animal hospital where the veterinarian induced vomiting and fed Winnie charcoal to absorb the toxins.
Fortunately, Winnie was taken to the animal hospital in time to prevent any permanent damage and has since made a full recovery.
As a result of this incident, Winnie earned herself the title of ”Most Unusual Claim” by Veterinary Pet Insurance (VPI). Each month VPI nominates one pet as the most unusual claim and a chance to win the Hambone Award. To read the rest ofWinnie’s story and learn more about the Hambone Award, visit www.vpihamboneaward.com.
People go to great lengths to get their pet exposure, even as far as creating their pet’s own social media page and daily postings. Social media has even changed the way we care for our pets.